top ten favorite places to read

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists. If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

top ten tuesday

Today’s topic is a ‘rewind,’ meaning it’s up to each person to find a Top Ten Tuesday topic they skipped or want to repeat and make it their own.  This week I’m going to list my favorite reading nooks.

Top Ten Favorite Places to Read

1. My parents’ living room – On a cold winter’s day, there’s no better spot to read than my parents’ living room, sitting toasty warm in front of the fire with a cup of hot chocolate at my elbow.

2. My own living room – We have an enormous old plaid couch in my current apartment, and I love to sprawl on it with whichever book is currently striking my fancy.

3. Bed – I also like reading in bed, but I have to be careful with this, because I don’t fall asleep reading.  If I read in bed, I stay awake in my bed.  And that’s not really what beds are for.  Right?  Right.

4. On the train – One terrible thing about growing up/old is that I can’t read in moving vehicles anymore.  Something about the motion makes concentrating on type ridiculously hard.  UNLESS that moving vehicle is a train.  Reading on the train is my new favorite way to get from one place to the next.

5. Library – A library is a building full of books.  Pulling a volume off the shelf and paging through it to see if it’s worth the checkout is like breathing – it just happens.  I mean that in the best way.

6. Bookstore – Book shops are like libraries, but once you test drive that book, it can be yours forever!  All the more reason to make sure you REALLY want it by reading… and reading… and reading.

7. Mostly empty coffee shop – Coffee and books are two of my largest ‘leisure’ expenses.  This is a true thing and has been since I was a teenager.  I’m not sure what that tells you about my life choices…but combining coffee and reading is a recipe for a good time, as long as that coffee shop is mostly empty/quiet. 

8. Beach – I was never much of a beach kid (chalk that one up to growing up in the Pacific Northwest, where beaches are cold and/or rocky), but I’ve come to enjoy the beach as an adult, as long as I have a great book or three in my bag.  And some strong sunscreen.

9. Tent (while camping) – Yes, I am the camper who refuses to leave her tent when caught up in a good book. I like nature… as a great backdrop to reading.  Bonus: staying in the tent = less bug bites.

10. Sunny park bench – What are crisp fall days for?  I say sunny park bench reading.  You heard it here first.

What are your favorite places to read? 

14 comments:

Unknown said...

All of these places are spot on! I'm the same as you, if I start reading in bed then you can guarantee my lamp will still be on at 2am haha!
I've never read in a bookshop though, I always feel guilty for some reason :S

New follower!
I chose Endings that left me with my mouth hanging open:
http://reflectivebookworm.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-ten-tuesday-6.html

Tanya Patrice said...

My bed is probably my favorite place - and I like working on the laptop in coffee shops and go at least once a week.

Nina said...

I love to read on the train! I can read for hours and no one is bothering me! :)

J'adore Happy Endings

Alex said...

I like your choices, mostly because they are similar to mine (I don't care to read in coffee shops) My favorite is definitely on the couch under a cozy blanket (in winter) or on the beach (in summer)

Alyce said...

When I was a kid I always read on my parents' bed on lazy summer afternoons. Their room had the best light and cross breeze with the windows open. I think that's why I prefer reading on top of my bed when it's made, curtains opened and bright sunlight streaming in. I've never lasted long reading in tents - I always fall asleep, even in the middle of the day.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I bet reading in the tent is fantastic. Great idea! :)

I get to distracted playing with all the things I don't own in bookstores. ;)

Ooooo I need to try beach reading.

My favorite place? Bed I LOVE reading in my soft comfy sleep number bed.

Melanie said...

This is kind of silly, but I've always wanted to read on a train. In my mind, it sounds like a romantic thing to do.

Shelver506 said...

I love your list, but I always feel guilty reading at the beach. I feel like I should be enjoying the scenery, you know? I still do it, though. :D

My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-rewind-top-ten-bookish.html

Liviania said...

I'll give you three guess as to what my top spot to read is, and the first two don't count.

I do like reading in bookstores.

Liviania said...

I'll give you three guess as to what my top spot to read is, and the first two don't count.

I do like reading in bookstores.

carol said...

My favorite place to read is probably our basement rec room, on the couch with an afghan and a cup of hot chocoate.

Charlotte said...

Oh yes indeed! I want this one rather badly...

kayerj said...

I like to read while I'm camping too. It's a perfect place. nice list today. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Ryan said...

Number nine is a wonderful place to read.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home